LGBT Awareness For Law Enforcement Executives
The LGBT Awareness For Law Enforcement Executives is intended specifically for personnel assigned to the rank of lieutenant, manager or above. This course includes the elements of the LGBT Awareness For Law Enforcement basic course, but incorporates scenarios and additional content specific to the role of a law enforcement administrator. The learning outcomes for this course include:
- The student will explain the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity and how these two aspects of identity relate to each other and to race, culture and religion.
- The student will define terminology used to describe sexual orientation and gender identity.
- The student will identify ways to create an inclusive workplace and to support LGBTQ+ co-workers.
- The student will identify key moments in the LGBTQ+ civil rights movement.
- The student will understand how hate crimes and domestic violence impact LGBTQ+ people.
Participants in this course will work through three different scenarios that a law enforcement administrator might encounter involving the workplace and community. The course includes applying model policies and provides a look at strategies for building trust between law enforcement and the local LGBTQ+ community.
This course is offered free of charge to any member of law enforcement. Completion of the course requires passing the course quiz with a score of 80% or better. Course completion certificates are available for $20.